Monday, September 14, 2009

The Fishermen's Vest: my glamorous wardrobe essential

Even though I shall be taking rucksack on my trip there are lots of things that I shall need to have more readily to hand: my phone, my zoom lens, my moleskin, a pen or two, a map... It seemed a very long list. I obviously needed a lot of pockets and it occurred to me that the fisherman's vest was an ideal way of acquiring them.


So the 'Orvis Clearwater Vest' came this morning and I feel quite pleased with it. I opted for the mesh version because this is supposed to be cooler than the cloth. It is designed for the travelling angler, but I think it will suit the travelling writer equally well. It has twelve pockets including a back pocket for raingear. The only slight problem is that the 'small' size is actually rather too large, but this does mean that it fits (easily) over my fleece too - so I think I might stick with it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brian Clegg said...

It's certainly, erm, different Clare! My only real worry is that you feel it's a good idea to go out with a mole skin. Where will it end? Tiger skin? Polar bear skin? We need to know.

Mon Sept 14, 01:21:00 pm  
Blogger N.L. Lumiere said...

Love the vest. Photographer's vests have lots of pockets too. One wonders, are you going to be writing about the Cornish population of 福建 ?

Mon Sept 14, 01:38:00 pm  
Blogger Jud said...

I really like the vest. Orvis makes high quality gear. I am less of a fan of the hat, and would suggest you look for something here: http://www.stetsonhat.com/

Mon Sept 14, 02:23:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Dear me, Brian - have you never owned a moleskin? Bruce Chatwin, travel writer extraordinaire (and one of my many heroes) swore by them. I have one now and I can see exactly what he means.

Thank you, Nora. I didn't realise that photographers had vests too! I've doe a little search since your comment and they look quite similar. This is a relief because that is mainly why I wanted mine - to hold camera bits and pieces.

Thank you Jud. It does look pretty well made, though I have no experience in these things.

I looked at the hats, and yes, they are far more stylish than mine - but have only one disadvantage as far as I can see, and it is a major one - mine can be shoved into my case and it looks just as good afterwards as it did before. Not saying much I know, but it will keep the sun off a bit I hope.

Mon Sept 14, 08:55:00 pm  
Blogger Jud said...

Why would you ever want to take a Stetson off, Clare? While on the plane it can be used to cover your eyes while you catch a nap and has a myriad of other uses.

Mon Sept 14, 10:47:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, I'm sure you're right, Jud - but this is my new hat so I'd better wear it now.

Tue Sept 15, 09:45:00 pm  
Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Fantastic vest!

When you mentioned all the pockets, I couldn't help but think of Tolkien, and venturing away from the Shire with the One Ring.

When I travel, I usually just wear a rucksack, but you are right that it can be inconvenient for things that need to be removed quickly such as cameras.

I've heard somewhere a saying that if you serve someone a fish they are nourished for just a day, but if you teach them the logic of wearing a fisherman's vest with handy pockets for cameras and phones, their imagination is nourished for a lifetime.

Wed Sept 16, 02:30:00 am  
Blogger Susanna said...

you look so cute in your gear!!!!

Thu Sept 17, 03:06:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you, Susangalique!

Thu Sept 17, 07:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home